• For best results, cultivate, till or spade the area to a depth of 100 mm to 150 mm.
• Eliminate drainage problems by having soil slope away from foundations, etc.
• Cultivate or rake in fertilizer, lime, organics, compost, etc. as needed to a depth of 50 mm to 150 mm.
• Rake and smooth soil removing rocks, roots, and large clods.
• Roll the area with a lawn roller. This will firm the soil surface and reveal low areas that need more soil.
• Keep the height a minimum of 25 mm below walkways and driveways for the new turf to sit into.
• Water the prepared area to settle the soil and provide a moist base for turf.
• Apply a pre-plant fertiliser. Rake this into the surface.
• Prior to laying turf check that the soil surface is not hot and or dry. Wet the soil down if hot and or dry.
• Install your lawn immediately upon delivery. Turf is a living product and should be laid within 12 hours of delivery.
• Begin installing turf along the longest straight line, such as a driveway or walkway. Butt and push ends against each other tightly, without stretching.
• Stagger the joints in each row in a brick-like fashion, using a large sharp knife to trim corners, etc.
• On slopes, place the turf pieces across the slope.
• After installing the turf, roll the entire area to improve turf-soil contact.
• Begin watering lawn within 30 minutes of installation. Turf is a living plant that requires ground contact and moisture.
• During first two weeks, avoid heavy or concentrated use of your new lawn. This gives the roots an opportunity to firmly knit with the soil, and ensures that the turf will remain smooth.
• Week One: Water up three times a day, during the day for the first week, this will help replace lost moisture in the turf.
• Week Two: Roots should have formed so watering can be reduced to once per day but watering should be longer to encourage the roots to search deeper.
• Week three: Water a couple of times per week. Again, increase the watering time to encourage deep rooting.
Oasis Lawns in Childers provides Premium Turf and quality services to councils, builders, developers, landscapers and direct to the public.
Contact us for free lawn care advice, measure and quote.